Our New Voices Competition: Pakistan is now open! For submissions guidelines, please click here. Deadline: May 15, 2017.
If you're looking to register for The Professionals: Fireside Chats, a special event for young women who are emerging in the creative arts, please click here. Deadline: March 13, 2017.
Following up on the success of our first paid competition in 2014, The Missing Slate brings its first catered only to Pakistani writers writing in English.
We seek work that is original, thought-provoking, well-written, and well-articulated with a voice that can speak to an international readership and characters we can empathise with and care about. Entries must be no longer than 5,000 words. Submitters must be located in Pakistan and have a local bank account to receive the prize money.
- A Rs20,000 first prize with two runners up getting Rs5,000 each.
- The winning story will be published as Story of the Week and the winning writer will be interviewed by one of our senior editors.
- Please be sure to include your contact information (email address, mailing address, and contact number).
- Please ensure your piece is original i.e. not previously published (or a winner, finalist or honorable mention for another competition). This will be carefully checked, so please ensure that this prerequisite is met.
- Label the attached Microsoft Word file as "Your Name – New Voices Pakistan".
- We publish in Georgia 11pt, justified, no indentations with 1.5″-2.0″ line spacing, and it would be helpful if you could format your submission the same way.
- You should include a third-person bio of around 50 words.
- Please limit your entries to one short story per submission per person.
Deadline: May 15, 2017 (11.59PM Pakistan Time)
- The writing competition will be shortlisted by the senior editors of the magazine.
- The winning entries will be selected by Sabyn Javeri, author of 'Nobody Killed Her.'
- All writers who enter will be notified of the judges' decisions – all decisions are final.